Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dear Kohls, your website is unusable

A note I sent today to the kind folks who run kohls.com



Dear Kohls,

I write to express significant displeasure with your website.

I first visited your website in order to register my Kohls credit account in order to pay it online.

I navigated to http://www.kohls.com

And at the upper right there's a My Kohls Charge link with this URL: "javascript:launchCorporate('http://credit.kohls.com')"

When I click it, I am directed to "https://credit.kohls.com/psp/zcprod02/?cmd=login&errorCode=105&languageCd=ENG"

Which is an error message, quoted here:

[



My Kohl's Charge





We have recently improved our site and have a new address.

Please click here to go to Kohls.com, select the My Kohl's Charge option at
the top of the page, and update your Favorites link to My Kohl's Charge
with the new address.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact us at 1-800-470-0554.

Please note that payments can be made in ANY store at ANY register, over
the phone by check, or the payment can be mailed to our payment center at:

Kohl's Payment Center
P.O. Box 2983
Milwaukee, WI 53201-2983

]

The "Please click here" hyperlink takes me to "http://www.kohls.com/", and when I use the link to My Kohl's Charge at the top of the screen as directed, I again visit this error message: infinite loop.

So then I go to the Customer Service portion of your website in order to contact you. Rather than clearly articulating an email address at which you may be reached, there's some kind of web form for entering my first and last name and email address, and then selecting a topic from a pull down, and clicking "Go". That doesn't work either: when I do that, it clears the filled out form fields but doesn't give me an opportunity to compose a message.

Overall, I'd say you haven't "recently improved your site" enough. Please correct these significant usability problems with your web presence. A website that doesn't work frustrates customers, erodes consumer confidence, and erodes the association of the Kohl's brand with quality.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Petro

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I tried to sign up too and could not get through. I sent them an email also, although not as detailed as yours.

L.Schmidt said...

Kohls needs a better, easier system like before to pay the bill online. I'm really disguisted with trying tonite and may close my account. I only pay the bill in the store when I am shopping. I don't want the inconvience of going to the store when I don't need to. I want to pay the bill online and if I can't I will close my account. L. Schmidt