Friday, September 07, 2007

Is this dog still under warranty?

Dogsitting. Brady has started a weird behavior where he'll decide he's had enough with walking, pick a spot on the grass wherever he wants, and lay down. Sometimes he rolls around in the grass, but in any case it's very hard to cajole him into finishing the walk.

I'm not sure whether there's something wrong with him (I doubt it -- he happily bounds and otherwise seems to enjoy the walk in between wayward lying down), whether he's confused about when it's appropriate to lie down (we've been working on "lay down" as a follow on to his pretty reliably "sitting" on command), whether this is his idea of a game ("Andrew sure is funny when he's trying to get me to get up, I want to see that look on his face again"), or whether it's a response to being over-walked. I try to walk him twice a day and we go for forty minutes or so each walk, but he's a big fellow and I figure he needs the exercise.

I switched to long walk in the morning and a shorter walk in the evening, but he's still doing the lie down thing. Not sure what my next move is. I don't have him lying down reliably in the house, so it's hard to drill getting up again after having lain down.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's probably worth reporting to his vet, just in case he is having joint trouble or something.

Andrew Petro said...

I think I'll report it to his owner, and she can report it to his vet, or ignore it, or enroll him in dog training, or really it's up to her.

He did the lie down thing again this morning, so I just plopped down next to him for a nap. He made a pretty good pillow and gave up and got up again in a few minutes.