Friday, September 28, 2007

Corks and Cactus

This evening I went to the Desert Botanical Garden Corks & Cactus wine tasting after work.

I'd never been to a wine tasting before. I learned a bit and it was a good time. Sipping wine amid beautiful plants was pretty cool. Beautiful evening for it, too.

Since I know basically zero about wine, I did the Wine Diva pre-event. It was a "Fabulous Finds for Fifteen" class involving tasting six wines and a whole shtick. The Mionetto Prosecco NV (Italy) (sparkling wine) was very good and as the instructor, Christine Asnbacher, impressed upon her audience, effectively quenched thirst created by spicy food. I don't usually care for spice in my food, but when it's there, I want it quenched, so I could see ordering this again. Second on the slate was Erath Pino Gris (Oregon, 2006). Tasty. Bonny Doon Cigare Volante (California, 2004).

The reds were Marques de Caceres Rioja (Spain, 2003), Nine Stone Shiraz (Australia, 2004), and Septima Malbec (Spain, 2003). They were all enjoyable enough. I'd need several more classes to be able to say anything intelligent about them.

I also got a copy of the instructor's book, Secrets from The Wine Diva, autographed no less, out of the deal. I'm a lot more likely to get into book collecting than wine collecting as a hobby.

After the Wine Diva class came the Corks and Cactus event proper.

I liked the Weibel Brut Sparkling (California) very well, but part of that was running with the "try sparkling wines" cue from the class preceding. The Clos LaChance Violet-Crowned Merlot (California) was good, the Lolonis Lady Bug White (California) less so, but with a cooler name. I did not get to try the Two Hands Brilliant Disguise (Australia), but I was told by people I met at the event who seemed to share my tastes that it's something I should try sometime.

By far the most fantastically excellent wine I tasted this evening was Deco Chocolate Port (Portugal). I thought it was far better than the Desiree Chocolate Desert (California) (and they must have meant "dessert", right?) and I liked its more complicated flavor than that of the Smith Woodhouse Lodge Reserve Port (Portugal).

Dennis Rowland & the Jazz Experience provided neat background entertainment. I'll look to hear them again.

Picasso pottery was on display -- very neat stuff and I hadn't even realized this was visiting Phoenix.

Since I didn't know what to expect, I took a taxi to and from the gardens, so as to not be driving after having tasted the assorted wines. In actuality I think I was entirely sober and driving-able by the time I would have driven home -- there was a good long post-tasting area involving decadent deserts and delicious decaf coffee, and I just didn't take in that much volume of wine at this event -- for me it was all about tasting with a sip or two, though I noticed other participants adopting a more voluminous approach.

Taking the cab turn out to have been a worthwhile investment in discovering effective local small business. I like small personable cab companies, and in Union Cab I think I have found a suitable local one. Came quickly, polite, knew his way around, I got the same driver both directions, dispatcher was intelligible. Met my cab needs; I'd use them again and recommend them to others.

No comments: